Monday, July 25, 2011

Mana

So lately my Friday nights have been stolen by Sports. First it was the cricket, then the Super 15 and now the All Blacks.

Last Friday night was no exception. The All Blacks were taking on Fiji ( I didn't even know Fiji had a team??? ) and because I live with 2 males (we have a boarder at the moment) I didn't have any say in whether we watched the game or not!

In hindsight, I enjoy watching the All Blacks play, I know some of them and actually understand a little bit of the rules - not by choice.

So the game started with the NZ national anthem and I was very surprised to hear the boys singing along. Then came the world renowned Haka. I don't have a single drop of Maori in me but I am 1000% a New Zealander. Every time a Haka is performed it brings a tear to my eye, my heart tightens a little and I feel a great sense of Mana, Pride.

The Haka has been performed by the NZ All Blacks since 1884, but wasn't adopted by the NZRU until 1906. The most famous Haka is "Ka Mate" - which I find to be the best as it shows the most 'blah' which is quite intimidating.
I was very surprised on Friday to see that Fiji also had their own 'war dance', the Cibi. Seeing NZ perform the Haka to the Fijians while they do their Cibi was amazing! I certainly could not just stand there while something that intimidating was going on right in front of me.
I am proud to be a kiwi and am a very big supporter of the All Blacks! Bring on RWC 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background